I thought I’d try a new feature on this blog and be a bit more adventurous. I love cooking and trying new food, especially when I get the opportunity to travel and try food. However work and having a family means this is not always possible so I wanted to bring foreign culinary delights to this blog by starting a series called ‘Around the world’.
I’m hoping to feature two recipes a month from different countries and together we will learn different recipes, ways of cooking and flavours! It made sense to go alphabetically so I decided to cook a dish from Albania.
Albania is a country in South East Europe and has mostly a Mediterranean climate. A lot of the food shares similarities with Greek and Italian food. Unfortunately I have never been to Albania and I was so close to visiting when I was in Corfu in the summer of 2017, but due to weather conditions I was unable to visit. So this is the closest I have been so far.
This dish is called Fergese and is one of Albania’s popular dishes. This is a vegetarian version of Fergese called “Fergese e Tiranes me piperka” but it also made with liver. I enjoyed this dish for lunch, but according to the recipe I followed it is often served as a side in the north of Albania.
I recommend cooking this dish in a clay dish (I’ve included the link to amazon to the one I bought) as it gives it more earthy flavours and similarities to an authentic Albanian dish. I adapted this recipe from myalbanianfood.com
– 3 red peppers
– 1 red onion
– 6 red beef tomatoes
– 150g feta cheese
– 20g butter
– 20g flour
– 40g greek yogurt
– Lazy chilli or chilli flakes
– 2 tbsps basil
– olive oil
– salt and pepper
1. Prepare your onion by dicing it and leaving to one side. Prepare your tomatoes and peppers by dicing them and leaving to one side.
– I recommend preparing all your ingredients in advance.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
3. Sweat your onions in a small amount of olive oil for 2-3 minutes and then leave to one side.
4. Cook tomatoes, peppers and basil in a large pan on a medium-high heat for 10 minutes until little moisture left. Add onions to the mix and leave to cool.
5. Meanwhile prepare a roux by melting butter in a small pan on the hob and add flour. When combined crumble in the feta cheese and continuously keep stirring until feta cheese has melted. This will make quite a thick mixture and then add the Greek yogurt and take off the heat.
– You may think off this point the cheese mixture looks as if there is not enough or it’s a weird consistency. If you think then you are spot on!
6. Add the cheese mixture to the pepper/tomato/onion mix and stir it through with chilli, salt and pepper. When combined transfer to the clay pot until full to the brim and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
Serve with either bread or as a side/starter to a meal.
I really enjoyed this and thought actually it was quite easy, the cheese mixture did put me off at first. I will be definitely having this again in the future and serving it to friends/family members.
Let me know what you think about the “Around the World Series” and also if there are any countries you would like me to feature sooner rather than later.
I’m also on Instagram – I post pictures of food and my general life daily so check me @Amikatie20.